Irish Cream Cheesecake with Whiskey Caramel:
Recipe and Image: https://aclassictwist.com/irish-cream-cheesecake-with-whiskey-caramel/
For Whiskey Caramel:
- 1 Cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (Cut into cubes)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1tsp salt
- ¼ cup Whiskey (Any whiskey you would prefer)
For the Crust:
- 15 – 20 Oreo Cookies
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter (melted and cooled down)
For the Filling:
- 3 x 240ml cream cheese blocks (softened at room temperature)
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup of Irish cream (Amarula)
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup whiskey caramel (And more for topping)
To make the caramel sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, melt sugar over medium high heat. When sugar starts melting, whisk until all the sugar melts. Sugar will clump in whisk but keep whisking.
- Once all the sugar is melted, stop whisking and let sugar get to a deep amber color. You can swirl the pan to mix. Keep your eye on the caramel, as it will easily burn at this stage.
- Whisk in the butter and mix until completely melted. Remove pan from heat and gradually add in the heavy cream. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the sea salt (if using) and whiskey. Transfer caramel immediately into a glass jar and let cool.
To make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Wrap the entire outside of a 22 cm spring -form pan with two sheets of foil.
- Using a food processor ( or smash the cooking in a bag with rolling pin), pulse the cookies into a fine crumb. Add sugar, salt and melted butter and process until combined.
- Transfer the crumbs to the prepared pan and evenly spread it. Use a flat bottom cup and press down on crust to create and even layer.
- Bake crust for 8-10 minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filing.
To make the Filling:
- Reduce oven temperature to 160 C
- In the bowl or an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and mix until combined, scraping down the bowl if needed. Add in Irish Cream (Amarula), flour, salt and vanilla extract. Mix well on medium-low speed. Add eggs one at a time, mixing each time until combined. Mix filling until smooth.
- Pour half of the filling into the prepared spring-form pan with crust. Pour half of the whiskey caramel on top of the filling and swirl (I used a dinner knife to make the swirls). Pour the remaining cheesecake filling on top. Finally swirl the last half of the whiskey caramel on top.
- Place spring-form pan into a much larger baking pan. Add hot water into the larger baking pan to reach half way up the side of your spring-form pan.
- Bake cheesecake at 160 C for one hour. Then turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven for additional 45 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven and allow to cool at room temperature for at least an hour before chilling. Chill for 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, top cheesecake with whiskey caramel.