Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 tsp (or two 1/4 oz packets; each 2 1/4 tsp) Bread or Rapid Rise Yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/3 cup very warm beer – I heated mine in the microwave in 20 seconds; it took about 4 of those but check yours closely as microwaves differ in power. Or use a pan over low heat on the stove. Caution…yeast will die if too hot; your beer has to be in the range shown.
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided
- Any toppings you want to add!
- Preheat oven to 220°C
- Combine 3 cups of flour, dry yeast, sugar, salt, and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Combine beer, honey, and 2 Tbsp olive oil; heat until the mixture is about 50°C; immediately pour into dry ingredients in a bowl. Using a fork, mix until well blended. The dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky.
- Knead it by hand on a floured surface, adding additional flour as necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes. Let dough rest for 10 minutes, covered and in a warm location.
- Separate into 2 or 3 equal pieces depending on the amount of pizza you want to make. One-piece will make a 12″ pizza.
- Roll dough on a floured counter to a 12-inch circle and place in greased cast iron skillet (12″), greased pizza pan or on a baking sheet. Form a rim by pinching the edge of the dough.
- Brush the dough with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and if desired, lightly salt the rim.
- Add your favourite toppings; you’ll need about 2 cups of shredded cheese on the bottom, whatever other toppings you love, and another half cup (or more) cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Bake on lowest rack for 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and crust is lightly browned. Remove from oven, let cool for a couple of minutes, then slice and serve.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, water should feel warm to the touch.