Kale & Lamb Rotolo with Tomato Sauce & Boerenkaas
For the lamb
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1,2 kg lamb shanks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- ½ cup (125 ml) Durbanville Hills Merlot
- ¼ cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- ½ cup (125 ml) beef stock
- 2 tins whole peeled tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the pasta
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 200 g chopped kale
- 150 g crème Fraiche
- 200 g Boerenkaas, finely grated (100 g for filling, 100 g for topping)
- 8-10 lasagne sheets
- For the lamb, preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large oven-safe pot, fitted with a lid, over medium-high heat. Season the lamb shanks and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the onions, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion golden. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, stirring, until caramelised.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and balsamic vinegar and cook until the alcohol has evaporated. Add the lamb and remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven to braise for 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter and kale and fry until all the moisture has evaporated and the kale is wilted. Season to taste.
- Remove the lamb from the sauce, shred the lamb into one cup of the sauce and set aside until needed. Keep the remaining sauce aside.
- Spread the remaining tomato sauce in a large ovenproof dish. Increase the oven temperate to 200°C.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the lasagne sheets until al dente. Remove and pat dry.
- Spread a thin layer of meat on each lasagne sheet, top with kale, a few dollops of crème Fraiche and grated Boerenkaas. Roll up from the short side and cut into 3 even slices. Arrange cut side up, on top of the tomato sauce. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining Boerenkaas on top and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling, the pasta is crispy, and the cheese has melted.